Monday, June 4, 2012

Old Friends

Another upper river outing 05/18 with Son [one of my oldest friends] had me feeling kind of unsure due the amount of boat traffic and at one of the camps where I've never seen anyone there was quite a shindig going on. I was 150 yards away and could keep up with all of one side and most of the other in ongoing discussion! Not really my style.. best part was as the sun went down & bugs came out FIERCE the partiers went indoors. The boat traffic all passed together [only 3] which is as much as can be hoped for with boats. Still seemed awful early for this kind of activity.. usually mid june before reaching this level. Hitting the banks and traveling a good clip upstream was best move I could have made. Arriving at bend in mind disclosed active risers. A closer inspection identified them to be Sulphers.. my 'bug of choice'. I'd dug out my old Orvis 8'6" 4wt.. another old friend that had been neglected to long. It was still just as nice casting as remembered. Really can't imagine a better rod format for this size water. The fish proved a bit finicky or my fly was caught lacking. At any rate I rose three and landed [basically] two.. the bigger one coming off at my feet while fumbling with the camera. Daylight was now gone.. even in years past when my eyes were much better I always wished that magical 15 - 20 minutes could be stretched. Walking back down to the vehicle took me right by the party camp.. nine vehicles at this tiny cabin! No wonder such a noisy place.

No comments:

Post a Comment