Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Game on



First time out with new line for the little CND. Last fall friend Forrest had me trial his 5/6 SRO Vector on it. The line felt pretty good, as good as any tried so far. However, I was pretty curious what a Vector 4/5 might feel like on it.. but if the call had to be made I'd have chosen the 5/6 based on the satisfactory results. MJC at the Red Shed Fly Shop was kind enough to sell me one line but shipped both. I'm super glad I waited and feel fortunate for that favor.. the 4/5 is a dream on the little Speytracker!

We were hit with multiple days of steady soaking rain starting on friday 06-01. Three plus inches. I went out on Sunday 06-03 to try the lines and could barely get away from the river bank in an area thats normally knee to mid-thigh depth. Thick chocalate milk.. Heading upstream this eve I stopped at first crossing for a peek. She's still up high but much MUCH clearer.. only a modest stain. Aproaching my riffle the air had that fishy scent to it that only rainfall brings. Quite a few caddis buzzing about but not much sign of sailboats.. Tied on a #10 soft hackle pheasant tail and began working line out. Did I mention how amazing this line is? Worked down a ways and had one halfhearted roll on my fly. 15 minutes go by and I get a pluck. Haven't seen nor heard a rise.. Nice little soft water pocket on the far bank just inside the seam, the head & two rod lengths of run line reach it in good shape. Third swing and I get old familier feeling ..this is the shot.. sure enough a fish rolls on it, smacking it's lips in the film.. line comes up tight and reel starts to sing.. What the zxvxxz!! I was expecting a tiddler or bit larger fish. Out in the main flow it put good bend in the rod. After slugging it out a bit swam upstream to me, my break. No trophy but what a solid picture of health 18" chunker! Not a bad way to put the first stretch to a fresh line.

This seasons looking promising.

No comments:

Post a Comment