Monday, June 4, 2012

2wt gets bent

05/20 found me back up river meeting John Hayes near one of our usual haunt areas. Tonights hope was to [with any luck] encounter some spinner fall activity. I went down into a familier stretch that has treated me well early in the season more than once. Things looked grim as for promising rises. I brought out the 2 ounce DFR 8' 2wt that has been in my possession about a year now. Changed up reels for a lighter one and it was decided improvement. I finally got antsy enough to cast over one of the small trout rising periodically. Unsure whether it's just me but I've not found these little guys to be quite the pushover most people take them for. He wouldn't touch my fly.. Finally as the sun fell behind the treeline with the black flies & mosquitos turning it up a notch.. so did the Trout. As I slowly waded downstream coming around a prominent point on inside of bend there was a subtle rise just on slack side of seam created. A few minutes of observation disclosed two fish seperated by 15' I stalked in and made my first attempt which looked good but no go.. The trout rose again, quite tight to the grass line. Next cast was money and he sipped my Sz 16 spent wing with confidence. I lifted into solid weight, I'm not sure the fish even knew he was hooked at first. A little more pressure woke him up but he never panicked, just swam slowly and powerfully out into the main trough of the river and began head shaking. I leaned on him a bit and he ran for the other bank, line hissing off the little Loop. Getting him stopped was a mental dilema with 5x tip but it held. A few more powerfull but shorter drives were halted and he was led into the grass. The little 2wt had done well!

No comments:

Post a Comment