Thursday, September 29, 2011



The amount of rain has been pretty substantial lately. I took a wet afternoon on 09-19 to scout / fish some local water. I've played on this section my entire life chasing trout, deer, grouse, girls and following big game hounds or beagles up & down both banks. This is some pretty remote area in comparison to other sections of same river. Finding your way in to a specific pool or run on foot can be quite a task.. and if you stay well into dark fishing the spinner fall getting out can become a real adventure. 'bushwhacking' is how we call it.. not many care for it's flavor. Thankfully.



Anyway, I was amazed at the amount of fruits and feed in evidence! High bush cranberries, crab apples, thorn apples, wild grapes and dog wood berries all in abundance. Sure enough before long I jumped out a nice adult bird drinking from a small rivulet created by a fresh beaver dam. Later in the day three more went out as I worked downstream casting a run. Promising..

Fishing started off quite slow until it started to rain again. This kicked off a nice emergence of mayflies, some epherons and approx #16 mahoganys. This really jump started the trout and I took a couple smaller ones. Finally I made the target pool and made a good call reading the water, fishing an inside slack seam with depth. The fishpounced on my streamer pretty hard and pulled strong. Once he broke surface I thought it looked a bit different and sure enough it was a nice Brook trout, one of the better ones I've taken in quite a while. That reel is 3 3/4" diameter and I guessed length at 13.5 - 14" ..full bright spawning colors, very pleasing.





The pool spills nice into a long boulder broken run that looked decent so down it I went.. early in I had a smashing grab but came up empty. Midway down I got picked off and landed a decent Brown to finish out a well spent afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment