Monday, August 9, 2010

Big Changes



Friday morning brought a glaring contrast to the norm. The bare gravel of the camp isle was gone! One of my first sights in motion is a nice Salmon breaking just upstream on the south bank run. Today would be spent on the upstream pool though.. Seems a shame to have our camp water finally come around into shape only to go elsewhere.

We arrive at the Pool and it's instantly obvious that it's risen considerably. Clifton has met us up here since Dickey had an appointment. Charles, John and I cross over to the south with Clifton, Mike fishes the north bank. John starts at the head with a dry fly. I've only started casting when I look up and see him connected. I go up to give him a hand, it's a nice Grilse. With the high water it was easily swum right in on the grass and tailed for hook removal. Nice start to the day.

Mike is having a good morning, he's fishing the channel between the island and north bank. A testement to water height, I've never seen fish travel this slot.

We while away the a.m hours casting. Water is up big time, rocks stood on as casting stations I now wonder if I could even reach. Good news is the fish are traveling, not holding at all but passing through. Charles has been hot having several takers but not staying connected very well. I remember one bright Salmon that took on a relatively short line just as the fly was coming around at it's fastest. He blew up on the instant, throwing an impressive spray of water, then was off and gone. Good shot of adrenaline for both of us.

Afternoon and I'm on the upper south.. Dickey's small white Bomber attatched. Unreal how the water has risen! Fishing hard and covering thorough I'm rewarded with a nice Grilse. There are fish showing regular, moving up and passing on through the run. Up high at the boulder weir I'm amazed, it's not at all visible other than a couple nice seams where the current rolls over it and a luscious looking one off the point. Digging around in my box and looking at all the low water ties.. Not much over a #8. I find a #6 Glitter Bear and drop down scouting a place to start. Did I mention the water was up? I am able to start, and get a nice swing, 2/3 up into the head of the pool! Not long fishing the wet when it gets picked off. I'm hooked up for a bit, enough to be reasonably sure it's a Grilse, and he comes off. No worries.

Mike lands a Grilse below. It's getting late in the game, I tie in a Orange Butt Shadylady for change of pace. There are fish on the move, they seem noncommital with a light pluck at the fly rather than solid take.

The evening grows short.. the dreaded feeling weighs heavier by the minute. Once again my time on this amazing pool is done. I spend my last few minutes reflecting on how fortunate we were overall. The two earlier showers in the week were a gift. This 2' plus water spike is like hitting the numbers, odds are seriously defied. It's all but impossible to do that in ones own back yard, let alone travel half way across the continent and 'hit it'. How could you not feel blessed?

As circumstance dictates so much in life we could not stay over and fish the camp waters on Saturday. I surely would have loved another go at them!

No comments:

Post a Comment