Friday, August 7, 2009

The Miramichi: Old friends and Charles 'Ace in the hole' piece of water.

Leaving St Jules 07/19 at 7:00 a.m. put us back into the lands where a mono-lingual guy was comfortable by early afternoon. One more bit of excitement on Rt 8 just outside Doaktown.. At approximate 60 mph The car in front of us STOPS in the roadway. There had been a string of oncoming traffic in the other lane and someone dove out and right back checking clearance for a possible pass. Now anyone stabs the brakes but to come to a complete halt with no regard for whomever happens to be behind you is very un-kool! Luckily Charles was totally on top of things and instantly applied the brakes.. HARD the vehicle broke traction for a fraction of a sec until the anti locks took over. All I could see was us coming up on this minivan like a freight train as I yell "Go around them, Go around!" Charles calmly rides things out coming to a halt about 6' from them and states "I knew I could get stopped". I'm hugely relieved but wasn't so sure at the time.

Stopping by on the private water for a chat with the river keepers we got some ill news. The pool is in corporate ownership and theres always a possibility of being "bumped" from your schedule. We get word that were clipped at the knees.. two days of our original four are shot. The guides are sympathetic but it's out of their hands. They did have good news for us, the water downstream near our camp [above Blackville] had been totally on fire for the past several days. The Storeytown water was just starting to show a fish here and there with outfitters calling down from upstream wondering if anything had shown yet. Once again enjoying decent luck with the timing. We had a good visit and headed for the camp down river.

Trouble on the second front, the guide we had booked for the camp water was called back to work, an opportunity not to be ignored. We were glad for him. He did arrange for another guide but now there was a considerable rate hike that had been undisclosed earlier. These kind of troubles are irksome and serve to illustrate the independance Quebec offers by not requiring a guide. It caused Charles an unwelcome headache.. problems on two fronts combined with the near serious crash. Eventually [thankfully!] things were worked out. In the morning fishing would resume.

I'd fished the area last summer hard. Charles and I put out a strong effort with him bringing only one fish to the fly for the time invested. Feeling a bit more confident in light of the good reports I started down the run with a #8 Glitter Bear. About mid-way down in one of the better holding areas I get a strong grab and lift into it instantly feeling life on the other end. A short but spirited fight and the guide netted a nice Grilse.. I'm finally on the boards! I finished out the run and walked back up further into the head for the second pass, still keeping with the same tie.. It's treated me well, in the past as well as today. I'm working a bit more line now and about 2/3 the way down I get a nice take.. swinging on it a bit early.. Kicking myself I continue on. After completing this pass the guide suggests we get back in the boat and drift the soft/flat holding water below working a Bomber. I'm all for that. We no more than get started and I have a bright Grilse come to the fly, no hookup but still very nice. We fish one more spot briefly before mid day break.

In the evening we start out on same pool I took the Grilse on. No go there in a pass and guide suggests we go up above for a look, more dry waters. Sounds good to me so off we go. Crossing one bar we bump a nice Salmon and a Grilse, looking good. First spot we try I work it hard full length, fast paced, set the fly down and pick it back up and re-setting, never riding more than a few seconds after touchdown. Sure enough a grilse comes to the fly. I never attempted a set as he never took it, just swirled hard. Next stop was fished hard with no takers. We then dropped back down to the earlier pool for another wet fly pass. No interest from the fish but there are a few showing in the distance here and there. Charles had spent his day up at Storeytown with no luck. Things were still slow going.

7:00 a.m. were on our way back up to the wet fly pool. I start way below in flat-soft water working a small Tan white winged Bomber. Charles is coming down, fishing a nice line. Time moves along.. "THERE IT IS" rings out. I look upstream just in time to see a nice Salmon jump. Tossing my rod in the bushes I run up there for the show. The fish was strong, it had backing moving out at a good clip and no sign of slowing. Charles began following it down, reeling, trying to get it back on the short leash. Even once he did the fish wanted no part of us. Every time it was brought up along the breakline he'd RIP another hard charge out into the current starting the process all over. I was begining to fret the knot.. Long battles can be tough on them. Finally it started to tire some and I entered the water readying to tail it [no net today] after a couple short ins and outs I made a grab and had it, what a relief!

For the evening we were slated for a new peice of water. One I'd heard about, talked about with guides and others, and map scouted. It's not far above the Ace in the hole water. I was pretty excited to give it a go. For access you drop over a steep bank by a flight of steps. It's pretty much a cliff face right at your back in the head. I started out speycasting with a sngl hand 10' 6wt rod. They were flying out pretty decent for a change. My casting has a tendancy to come and go but lately I seem to have made some minor advances. Note to self: Keep finges crossed. The water was very nice, quick in the head and even paced throughout the entire mid some slowing down at the end. I'd started midway down and finished the pass without a bump. The head area 'felt' alot different and not far down my Shadylady Orange wet was grabbed.. but no connection. There were fish showing at a good rate, the water appeared to still be rising and they were moving through. Next pass in the mid I had a pluck. Casting back a couple times brought nothing but I did mentally mark the spot. I noticed there was ledge rock in spots allowing you to wade out a bit further which I started doing. It was a long shot across and I wanted to cover as much as possible. Third pass down it's starting to darken and the no-seeums were some fierce, makes it tough to concentrate like you should be. When I neared the mental mark my casts were going long and halfway through the swing I got a good grab and came up connected. This fish was hot, ripping line through the water producing that tearing sound thats so kool to hear. It was a Grilse, he jumped hard three times before allowing me to gain on him any. Soon he was up on the short, guide Brian Peterson made a nice shot on him and he was landed.

No comments:

Post a Comment