Saturday, December 10, 2016

Black Powder Buck




Spent Friday afternoon helping a guy bring out a deer. My soon to be 73 year old Dad hunted all 15 days of firearms season without decent shot at any of the few legal bucks sighted. Then, never missing a beat, continued the chase with black powder.. which opened day after regular firearms closed. Not on our home farm either, but public lands open to all.. his self imposed handi-cap. Mostly along the river ridges and bottoms south of home. The area is made up from miles of country where trail roads are few and houses non existent. Yesterday afternoon his amassed hours must have reached the needed total and this deer appeared. Behind him. First buck he's ever shot left handed. My respect for his skills and drive to hunt continues to grow with no sign of slowing.

I get the vibe he thinks I'm somewhat nuts to pursue Steelbows in this kind of weather.. I feel the same about late season deer hunting (smiling)

No comments:

Post a Comment