Sunday, August 8, 2010

Pointed upstream

Monday morning found us on our upstream pool with Mike joining. The water was ultra low.. very depressing. There were a few fish around the inlet but grim conditions on the south bank. Frankey took John under his wing as is customary here for new comers. I had to chuckle a bit.. John is a very experienced fisherman, just a little unsure of what to expect from Salar.

I went into the head area being sure to stay well back from the waters edge. Fish quite often hold very close here. Tying on a small Brown Bomber [my confidence fly] I start working the run upstream. Midway up an hour later I had a fish boil on my fly. I dropped down giving him a short break and cast back to him. Several casts and no rise, time to move. before I do though I pile a small tier of rocks from my casting position. Finishing out the run takes fair amount of time. Walking back down, again keeping well back from the waters edge, to the spot marked.. slowly ease into position, strip some line, aeriel measure correct length over the bank.. once back and ahead touching the fly down soft.. BOOM! he blows up on it so fast it's amazing! A nice fat Grilse instantly airborne head shaking, back below the surface digging and comes unbuttoned. Good enough! Very nice take, I'm left smiling with the fly dancing on tight line downstream.

Late in the a.m. I glance across to the north and see [barely*] John with a bent rod. Not much longer and he's initiated as a successful Salmon fisherman with a 7-8 lb fish. Fly was Shady Lady Wet, Orange Butt**. A sparse wingless tie that works well for us.



Evening on the Camp water is a repeat of Sundays efforts.

*I've yet to replace my eye glasses which were ripped from my face by an errant coil of running line that jumped off the casting deck odd hooking the corner of them, launching them about 10' out into heavy December current while Steelheading last winter. Very frustrating.

** Shadylady Orange Butt
Hook: # 8 - 12 Wetfly
Tag & Rib: Silver Tinsel
Tail: Hackle fibres
Body: [aft] Orange Antron
Body: [fore] Black UV Ice Dubbing [loop dubbed]
Hackle: Soft Black hen, palmered & brushed out.

No comments:

Post a Comment